Requirements for working at a Home Health Agency:
If you’re just starting out, one of the best ways to get experience and training as a home health aide is by working at a home health agency. Most agencies will require a certain level of training for home health aides, but this is often provided by the agency itself.
Requirements for working at a Medicare-Certified Home Health Agency:
1. To work at a Medicare-certified home health agency, you must meet the minimum standard of 75 hours of training and 16 hours of practical work. This type of training is usually provided on the job once you’re employed.
2. You will also need to have a criminal background check in order to work for a home health agency. This is required by the state for any healthcare worker who will be entering a patient’s home.
3. Receive Training and Certification: Home Health Aides must be Certified Nursing Aides and have completed the CNA training and competency evaluation
North Carolina Nurse Aide Registry:
Home health aides who wish to be listed in the state’s nurse aide registry must complete the training and testing as outlined by the Department of Health and Human Services. For more information on becoming a registered nurse aide, access the list of approved nurse aide training programs and a comprehensive guide about the nurse aide registry here
Select Training Schools:
1. Forsyth Technical Community College West Campus
13 week program for $600.00
Address: 1300 Bolton St, Winston Salem, NC 27284
2. Gaston College
8 week program for $600.00
Address: 1 Highway 321 South, Dallas, NC 28034
3. Umanah Healthcare Institute
4 week program for $500.00
Address: 5801 Executive Center Drive, Suite 103, Charlotte, NC 28212
4. Martin Community College
16 week program for $265.00
Address: 1161 Kehukee Park Road, Williamston , NC 27892
5. Davidson County Community College
16 week program for $229.00
Address: 297 Davidson Community College Rd, Thomasville , NC 27360
6. Cleveland Community College
16 week program for $450.00
Address: 137 S. Post Road, Shelby , NC 28152
7. College of Albemarte
5 week program for $212.00
Address: 800 N. Oakum Street, Edenton , NC 27932
8. Central Carolina Community College
16 week program for $450.00
Address: 764 West Street, Pittsboro, NC 27312
9. American Red Cross Nurse Assistant Training
4 week program for $1,250.00
Address: 1930 Jake Alexander, Salisbury , NC 28147
10. Cardinas College of Health Sciences
6 week program for $600.00
Address: 1200 Blythe Blvd, Charlotte , NC 28203
- Some of the top HHA Agencies are as follows:
1. Rex Home Services
Address: 1500 SUNDAY DRIVE, SUITE 113, Raleigh, NC 27607
2. Wakemed Home Health
Address: 2920 Highwoods Blvd Suite 200, Raleigh, NC 27604
3. Bayada Home Health Care
Address: 200 North Main Street, Lexington, NC 27292
For more agencies please click here
- Approximately 47,750 people were employed as Home health aides in North Carolina in 2015.
Hourly Rate - Home health aides earned between $7.76/hour and $11.88/hour in 2015 (average rate was $9.46/hour)
Annual Salary - The annual salary ranged between $16,140 and $24,710 (average annual wage was $19,680)
Source - Bureau of Labor Statistics
- In North Carolina, home health agencies must meet both state and federal regulations.
At the state level, home health care governance falls under the North Carolina General Statutes (131E-135 through 142) and the rules are under Title 10A of the North Carolina Administrative Code. Home health agencies must hold a license from the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Health Service Regulation. This licensure ensures agencies meet standards regarding patient care, staff competencies, and record keeping.
At the federal level, home agencies funded by Medicare or Medicaid must follow the conditions for participation of the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare (CMS).